Saturday, October 29, 2011

I guess I'm "that mom"

Blue Ninjas 


It's official... I'm that mom.  Carson had his 2nd to last game of the fall season today.  We played the "Green Dragons."  Last time we played this team, they slaughtered us.  They won 21-1.  YIKES.  Carson has been sick all week with bronchitis and croup so when he got out on the field today, he just didn't look like himself!  He had very low energy!  Another kid on the team was home sick, so we had no subs today.  "Here goes nothin'!"

The Green Dragons dominated the first half of the game.  We basically played defense the whole time, didn't get many chances to score.  However, the boys did play pretty good defense and kept them to only 5 goals.  

They had their snacks and water at half time, a pep talk from coach, a little cheering from me... and they were ready to go!  Out of nowhere, it seemed as though this little team of 6-8 year olds had fight and determination in them that you rarely see at this age.  They held the other team to only 2 goals and they scored 3 goals themselves, with many other very close ones! 

Carson got hit right in the face with a hard kicked ball; knocked him right on his butt.  He got right back up and kept going.  He was playing defense a lot of this game and fought hard every time he was near the ball.  He was being aggressive and playing with a lot of hustle!  He decided to pick out "#2", the best player on the other team and defend him.  Carson was not going to let this kid score on them again... and he didn't!  Joe, one of the kids on our team, usually sits back and doesn't seem too interested in the game... not today!  He had a look of absolute determination in his eyes and played really hard... Benjamin was scoring, Jaden was running hard and Kaeden was playing awesome defense, cutting people off left and right... We were making a come back!!

At one point, I yelled on the field "Carson!  That's exactly what I want to see!  Nice job!"  Jenny turned to me and said "Ok coach!" :)  Later on, Jaden was on a break away to the goal and before I knew it, I was standing out of my seat screaming.  Carson looked at me from the field and said "Really mom?  Do you have to stand up?!"  ha ha ha.  I always get in to his games, but today was different.  Today's game took fight, determination, heart, a no-quit attitude and belief!  Even though we lost, I found myself being amazed by and so proud of those 5 boys.  There was no feeling of defeat, there was only a sense of "We did it!"  
Anyone who knows me, knows that I HATE losing.  Yes, even when it comes to my son's soccer games.  Losing is not fun.  You play to win.  You never play 'not to lose'.  Even with no "W" today, I couldn't have been more proud of Carson and his teammates for their performance.  I think I'll use today's game as an opportunity to teach Carson about heart and determination and how those things are more important than any physical skill.

Job well done Blue Ninjas!



No comments:

Post a Comment