Saturday, October 22, 2011

Back to school 2011

Since we moved this summer, both boys are starting at new schools this fall.  Hunter is going to Sunshine Square Preschool for pre-kindergarten and Carson is starting 2nd grade at Elk Meadows Elementary.

Hunter started preschool 2 weeks before Carson's school year began.  This was really tough for Hunter because he knew Carson was going back home and got to play, while Hunter was at school.  The first 2 weeks Hunter cried when I dropped him off.  As soon as Carson started his school year, Hunter no longer cried when I dropped him off.  His teacher is Miss Gina and she is so cute with them!  He is learning a lot already.  He is SO inquisitive.  He asks so many questions, always wants you to give him math problems to solve.... really the kid is never quiet :)  He wants to know why thinks work the way they do, why things are the way they are.  

Just as I suspected, Carson made lots of friends the first day of school.  Everyday he says "school was AWESOME today!"  His teacher is Mrs. Douglass.  I've only met her once so far but she seems super nice.  The Principle of the school has decided to implement Steven Covey's "7 habits" into the curriculum this year.  During the summer, all the teachers were required to read the book and each grade level has their own way of implementing the "7 habits" into their learning everyday.  The other day I was having a conversation with Carson and he made the comment "hey, that's beginning with the end in mind!"  Yesterday he was arguing with me, trying to talk me into something I had already said no about.  I said "stop negotiating with me" - he very quickly replied with "Hey, I'm just trying to find a win-win!" LOVE IT. 

For reference sake, here are the 7 habits;
HABIT 1 : BE PROACTIVE
HABIT 2: BEGIN WITH THE END IN MIND
HABIT 3: PUT FIRST THINGS FIRST
HABIT 4: THINK WIN-WIN
HABIT 5: SEEK FIRST TO UNDERSTAND, THEN TO BE UNDERSTOOD
HABIT 6: SYNERGIZE
HABIT 7: SHARPEN THE SAW

No comments:

Post a Comment