Tuesday, December 13, 2011

duct tape has many uses

We went to Carson's Parent - Teacher Conference about a month ago.  When we sat down with his Teacher, Mrs. Douglass, she begins by telling us how great Carson is and how friendly he is.  She said that he gets along with everyone and is amazed at how friendly he is.  "I mean really, everyone like this kid!"  But of course this is followed with the dreaded "HOWEVER".  "However.... he never ever ever ever stops talking.  I mean never ever ever ever ever ever ever stops talking.  Even when I am talking."  (OK.  We get the point lady!)  She looked at Carson and said "Would it help if we moved you to a different seat Carson?"  Jokingly, I said "maybe you should move him next to a girl so he won't talk so much!"  Mrs. Douglass smirked and said "Oh yeah right - that  won't help!  He'll probably talk more!"  LOL  So she moved him to the very front of the class in an effort to keep his attention longer and limit his little motor mouth from running all day long.  I figured it was working as I haven't received any notes home or anything.

Fast forward to today.  I was in Carson's classroom volunteering as I do every other Monday afternoon.  I was saying goodbye to Carson and his teacher out in the hall way (I wasn't allowed in the classroom because the kids were making Christmas gifts for their parents.) and his teacher says "Carson is such a joy!  Oh, and if you could send him with some duct tape tomorrow that would be great!"  Thinking she was serious, I replied with "Of course, how much do you need?"  Again, she laughs and says "Just enough to fit over his mouth!"  I laugh too and tell her that if she finds some that works, to let me know!  :)

It's so funny how different the boys are.  I know I've said this before, but really.  Just the other day I asked Hunter's preschool teacher, Miss Gina, how he was doing.  She said "Oh is doing so great.  He is certainly a great kid.  I have no problems with him.  In fact, it would be great if he talked more in class."  Well... I know someone who can teach him.

We had a quick review with our nanny today to see how things are going, address any issues, etc.  Of course the only struggles she has are with Carson and how he "likes to push the limits."  (She actually does a really good job of not letting him push those limits and sticks to consequences.)  So then Brad asks; "What about Hunter?  Do you have any challenges with him?"  "NOPE!  He is great!"  she says.  "Nothing.  No issue at all?"  "No, he just goes along with whatever.  He does what I ask.  He doesn't push me.  He's great."  Brad and I look at each other and without even saying anything, I just know what he is thinking (because it's what I'm thinking too); Carson is your child, Alicia!  And sadly it's SO true.  Carson is soo much like me... tightly wound, loud, emotional, impatient, confident, stubborn.  And Hunter is ALL Brad; laid back, easy going, quiet, patient, very selfless.

So I come to this same recurring parenting challenge/question... how do I help Carson channel these characteristics to be strengths and not weaknesses?!  It's a great thing to be passionate and willing to show emotion, but how do you make sure this doesn't manifest in being an emotional drama king (as he often is.)  It's incredibly beneficial to have confidence... but not to be cocky.  It's a strength to be proactive and be a "do-er."  How do we channel this away from being impatient and acting with out thought?

No comments:

Post a Comment